Willy Russell’s musical ‘Blood Brothers’ opened at the Lyric Theatre on London’s Shaftesbury Avenue on Monday, April 11th, 1983 with Barbara originating the role of Mrs Johnstone, the put-upon Liverpool housewife who gives away one of her new-born twins and gradually sees her life unravelling.
The reviews were unanimous in their praise. “This morning the pages of musical history are going to have to be rewritten to include the names of Barbara Dickson and Willy Russell.”
“It is a slice of pure theatre magic that these two shining talents are together again for the singing star's acting debut in a tale of murder, madness and wild Scouse humour. For both, it is a triumph.
The show went on to win Barbara ‘Best Actress in a Musical’ at the Society of West End Theatre Awards and the show itself was named Best Musical.
This digitally remastered reissue of the soundtrack CD of the show includes Barbara’s original recordings of ‘Tell Me It’s Not True’ and ‘Easy Terms’ whilst the CD booklet features liner notes on the history of the original theatre production and Barbara’s association with the show.
1. Narration - Andrew Schofield
2. Marilyn Monroe - Barbara Dickson
3. My Child - Barbara Dickson, Wendy Murray
4. The Devil's Got Your Number - Andrew Schofield
5. Easy Terms - Barbara Dickson
6. Just A Game - The Company
7. Sunday Afternoon/ Mr Friend - George Costigan, Andrew C. Wadsworth
8. Bright New Day - Barbara Dickson
9. Marilyn Monroe (2) - Barbara Dickson
10. One Summer Narration - Andrew Schofield
11. Saying A Word - Andrew C. Wadsworth
12. Miss Jones (Sign Of The Times) - Alan Leith, The Company
13. Prison Song - Barbara Dickson
14. Light Romance - Barbara Dickson
15. There's A Madman - Andrew Schofield
16. Tell Me It's Not True - Barbara Dickson, The Company